In This Episode: The tech world quickly upgrades to online ordering for pickup, free education and every kind of human connection. We now have talk shows without audiences to neighborhood howling.
This week the TEH Podcast is hosted by Leo Notenboom, the “Chief Question Answerer” at Ask Leo!, and Gary Rosenzweig, the host and producer of MacMost, and mobile game developer at Clever Media.
(You’ll find longer Bios on the Hosts page.)
Show Notes & Links
- Leo: Be sure to support your local eateries and small businesses as they adjust to our new normal. How tech is helping out:
- Leo’s friend’s local beer bar and tap room quickly added a WordPress plugin to their website allowing them to pivot and take orders online.
- Pizza is your friend in the world of crises… now with touchless delivery.
- Gary: Everyone is podcasting. We can learn a lot tech-wise by watching the “Professionals” stream on their cell phones.
- Everyone is using basically the same tech. The difference is in the content.
- Leo: It’s like golden age of podcasting and live streaming. Everyone is podcasting including my bloodbank.
- Leo: There is so much free education available now. … if you do have free time!
- Gary: Denver local library giving free courses on Udemy.
- Leo: Zoom is turning their focus towards security — will they sacrifice ease of use?
- Zoom chief Eric Yuan says he was not prepared for flood of security and privacy complaints –
- Gary: Spammers are phishing Zoom downloads, people aren’t creating passwords and then getting hacked. But true security comes down to how honestly a business faces it and how quickly they patch things (Zoom has been honest and fast with patches).
- Zoom CEO: ‘I Really Messed Up’ on Security as Coronavirus Drove Video Tool’s Appeal
Possibly Off Topic, But Cool
- Gary: In the Pandemic Stay-at-home world people are communicating. Some neighborhoods are clapping to thank health care workers (usually close to hospitals so the staff can hear). And now evening Howling is a stay-at-home coping mechanism. You can sit on your porch, in your backyard, and people and dogs start howling at 8:00 pm.
- Leo: Kay sent Marco Polo (video sharing ap) proof that howling is happening in Portland.
1 Comment on “TEH 093: The Masked Bandit Version (and low-tech howling)”
*You’re not going to make a pizza* – while our goal is not to stop ordering pizza, it was to try something new, we bought a Detroit Style pan to make our own since the pandemic started. – certainly still supporting local businesses as we feel comfortable.
Podcasts, yes everyone has one, way too many to keep up on!