In This Episode: Upgrade to Win 11? Yes? No?
This week the TEH Podcast is hosted by Leo Notenboom, the “Chief Question Answerer” at Ask Leo!, and Gary Rosenzweig, the host and producer of MacMost, and mobile game developer at Clever Media.
(You’ll find longer Bios on the Hosts page.)
- 0:15 Krisp and noise
- 3:21 A new Windows version… why people should/shouldn’t be excited?
- 4:56 Long and sordid story… starting with TPM
- 8:00 Virtual machines and TPM
- 13:20 Resetting turns into an upgrade
- 16:40 Win11 is prettier, taskbar different
- 20:18 Windows positioning options
- 27:10 Default browser (30:50 Firefox)
- 32:08 No need to update, but do it if you want
- 38:00 Update schedule
- 38:50 Microsoft apps from a Mac perspective
- An article (https://askleo.com/windows-11-first-impressions/ )
Ain’t it Cool
- LN: 46:00 Black Widow on Disney+
- GR: 51:40 Squid Game
BSP: Blatant Self-Promotion
- 15:45 LN: Windows 11 First Impressions – https://askleo.com/137591
- 57:15 GR: The New Pivot Table Feature In Numbers
5 Comments on “TEH 144: Upgrade to Win 11? Yes? No?”
Task bar location
I have wanted the ability to put the taskbar items in the middle ever since I got a 42″ 4K monitor at work. With that and other very wide monitors, the left end position is way out of where you are looking.
I currently have the task bar on my home computer on the left side of the screen because I am frequently working from home with a laptop that (due to space considerations) sits in front of my home monitor. That means I can see it better
On your main page for TEH, you provide links to many podcasting services, but you leave out the original ‘service’, RSS. To get to your RSS feed page, I had to go to your ‘most recent post’ page (although I probably could have gone to any podcast episode’s page) to subscribe via RSS. I use VLC media player to manage (and watch/listen to) my chosen podcasts. Why do you hide your RSS feed page so deeply?
It’s unintentional / an oversight. Will work to correct.
Since so much of the world is powered by WordPress, including this site, “/feed” is the default RSS feed for all of them. So definitely worth trying that when you’re not sure:
Since many sites use a common plugin for podcasting, the default podcast feed is “/podcast”, so also worth a try: https://tehpodcast.com/podcast/
But, yeah, we should have an RSS icon/link.
In addition to Leo’s suggestions, just opening https://tehpodcast.com/rss works. It’s absurdly easy to find.
I’m listening to TEH 144. I am still using Windows 10 (by choice) although my system will support Windows 11 when / if it is offered in Windows update. You mentioned how difficult it is to remove Skype. I do not use it, so I went into the menu and right-clicked the Skype icon, then selected the ‘uninstall’ option in the context menu. Walla! Skype is gone! It was as easy to remove Skype as any other app in the menu. Since Microsoft is going to end support for Skype, perhaps they have removed the road blocks? Who knows . . .