In This Episode: New Apple OS, Broken computers, Smaller Wallets, Two factor authentication… believe the smart people.
This week the TEH Podcast is hosted by Leo Notenboom, the “Chief Question Answerer” at Ask Leo!, and Gary Rosenzweig, the host and producer of MacMost, and mobile game developer at Clever Media.
(You’ll find longer Bios on the Hosts page.)
- 1:00 GR: macOS Monterey is out.
- It’s a light update. If a Mac works in Big Sur it should work in Monterey
- 2:00 LN: Windows 11 is the same. Fundamentally it’s working well.
- LN: Laptop saga continues
- 4:30 Troubleshooting steps:
- 6:36 Ran fine in BIOS. Ran on Linux. Maybe it was a Windows problem.
- 7:36 Did a full backup, installed Linux… then it failed again. Problem must be with hardware.
- 9:30 When is it best to get a new computer? Sometimes it’s the trouble involved in fixing, rather than if something is fixable or not.
- 11:30 Why I chose Windows machine again. Purchased from Framework
-a laptop that is easily repairable and upgradable
- 16:30 GR: Digital IDs. Went to a low-tech Halloween event that used high-tech entry. Colorado’s secure ID app.
- 23:00 Features for bars and identification.
- 24:00 You can select to hide certain information
- 24:54 Extra security in the app.
- 27:28 Places it won’t work: TSA still doesn’t accept digital ID
- 30:01 LN: How will this play out long term? Wallets may get slimmer.
- 32:08 Global IDs might not be a good thing. But multiple IDs in one place on a phone could make life easier.
- 33:08 GR: iphone 13 has a small wallet that snaps on. To use it you have to get rid of so many cards.
- 36:00 Advantages of Venmo pay. Zellepay
- 38:37 GR: Two factor with Apple aps. How it is secure.
- 39:50 Most breakins are remote… another part of the world. Two factor can be easier and still secure.
- 42:50 Two factor feels like magic, but it’s really just tech.
- 45:00 Believe the smart people first.
- 46:50 Spy movie stuff. Breaking into accounts.
Ain’t it Cool
- 52:21 GR: Saw a movie in a theater!!! Time to Die… thumbs up
- Tickets were all online, most people wearing masks.
- 54:53 LN: Squid Game on Netflix.
- 58:00 Non-English. Dubbing options. Tech in non-English movies are making them possible.
1 Comment on “TEH 146: Believe the smart people, new OS, broken computers and smaller wallets”
Excellent articles… THANK YOU BOTH!