In This Episode: New Apple OS, Broken computers, Smaller Wallets, Two factor authentication… believe the smart people.
(You’ll find longer Bios on the Hosts page.)
- 1:00 GR: macOS Monterey is out.
- It’s a light update. If a Mac works in Big Sur it should work in Monterey
- 2:00 LN: Windows 11 is the same. Fundamentally it’s working well.
- LN: Laptop saga continues
- 4:30 Troubleshooting steps:
- 6:36 Ran fine in BIOS. Ran on Linux. Maybe it was a Windows problem.
- 7:36 Did a full backup, installed Linux… then it failed again. Problem must be with hardware.
- 9:30 When is it best to get a new computer? Sometimes it’s the trouble involved in fixing, rather than if something is fixable or not.
- 11:30 Why I chose Windows machine again. Purchased from Framework
-a laptop that is easily repairable and upgradable
- 16:30 GR: Digital IDs. Went to a low-tech Halloween event that used high-tech entry. Colorado’s secure ID app.
- 23:00 Features for bars and identification.
- 24:00 You can select to hide certain information
- 24:54 Extra security in the app.
- 27:28 Places it won’t work: TSA still doesn’t accept digital ID
- 30:01 LN: How will this play out long term? Wallets may get slimmer.
- 32:08 Global IDs might not be a good thing. But multiple IDs in one place on a phone could make life easier.
- 33:08 GR: iphone 13 has a small wallet that snaps on. To use it you have to get rid of so many cards.
- 36:00 Advantages of Venmo pay. Zellepay
- 38:37 GR: Two factor with Apple aps. How it is secure.
- 39:50 Most breakins are remote… another part of the world. Two factor can be easier and still secure.
- 42:50 Two factor feels like magic, but it’s really just tech.
- 45:00 Believe the smart people first.
- 46:50 Spy movie stuff. Breaking into accounts.
Ain’t it Cool
- 52:21 GR: Saw a movie in a theater!!! Time to Die… thumbs up
- Tickets were all online, most people wearing masks.
- 54:53 LN: Squid Game on Netflix.
- 58:00 Non-English. Dubbing options. Tech in non-English movies are making them possible.