In This Episode: Ukraine tech, new iPad, new Mac, RAM, Disk sizes and useful aps.
(You’ll find longer Bios on the Hosts page.)
- 0:12 GR: As if in an answer to a question I asked last week: The drone operators who halted Russian convoy headed for Kyiv
- Started by young university-educated Ukrainians who had been part of the 2014 Maidan uprising and volunteered to use their technical skills in the resistance against the first Russian invasion
- 4:45 The Russians can latch on to the drone’s electronic signature and quickly strike with mortars, so the Aerorozvidka teams have to “launch and run”.
- 5:30 Jamming… back and forth. The unit is also looking at ways to overcome Russian jamming, part of the electronic warfare being waged in Ukraine in parallel to the bombs, shells and missiles. At present, Aerorozvidka typically waits for the Russians turn off their jamming equipment to launch their own drones, and then it sends up its machines at the same time. The unit then concentrates its firepower on the electronic warfare vehicles.
- 6:30 Defense and offence. Making warfare harder. Size and sophistication makes a difference.
- Some of the advanced modems and thermal-imaging cameras made in the US and Canada are subject to export controls, so they have resorted to crowdfunding and asking a global network of friends and supporters to find them on eBay or other websites.
- 9:05 LN: I got an iPad. (Pro, 11”, 256GB). What are the top things I, never having used an iPad or iPhone, should know or do?
- 11:09 GR: Trackpad,
- 12:52 Apple pencil
- 13:09 Apps better on larger sceen: Tiktok, web, reading
- 14:46 Creativity tools, news, games, photo editing.
- 16:40 Movies
- 17:10 Instagram weirdness
- 20:10 LN: Limitations on uploading images
- 23:00 Taking pictures on an iPad, pencils
- 26:00 LN: Clever media games
- 27:25 Screen sharing, built in Google Chrome ap.
- 30:15 Airline aps for movies.
- 31:40 GR: New Mac Studio. Display. High resolution Crisp=small. Microphones and speakers. Camera.
- 36:00 The computer itself
- 41:00 Editing and exporting videos
- 44:00 Thunderbolt cables for transfering data
- 45:00 GR: Is 8 GB RAM too little for a Mac in 2022? Not necessarily
- 48:00 LN: Future needs?
- 54:00 Is it your main machine?
Ain’t it Cool
- 56:12 LN: Dune
- 1:01:30 Picard
- 1:02:10 GR: Our Flag Means Death, on HBO
- 1:05:40 The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window
BSP: Blatant Self-Promotion
- 1:06:44 LN: How Safe is Kaspersky Internet Security?
- 1:07:15 GR: Find Out Which Of Your iPhone Apps Use More Battery