In This Episode: Wandering Earth. Two-factor authentication vindicated. SpaceX’s recent Starlink launch and seeing the satellites. And STFUber!
This Week’s Hosts
- Randy Cassingham, founder of This is True.
- Leo Notenboom, “Chief Question Answerer” at tech education site Ask Leo!
- Gary Rosenzweig host and producer of MacMost, and mobile game developer at Clever Media.
- Kevin Savetz, web site publisher and Computer Historian at Atari Podcast.
- Longer Bios on the Hosts page.
- In the warmup, Kevin, Gary and Leo all watched Wandering Earth. Kevin live-tweeted it. Kevin discovered Screenflick, a MacOS screen recorder with audio. (Leo likes Camtasia.) And Randy went to the first of several high-level classes on public speaking (he’ll be speaking at Mensa’s national convention in July), and will have to miss quite a few upcoming episodes.
- Leo points out that Google says using two-factor is the best security decision you can make. And of your two-factor options, a security key is your most secure bet. Google’s own data proves two-factor is the best defense against most account hacks (TechChrunch, via Inside Google authored by Tara Calishain of ResearchBuzz.
Randy talked about SpaceX’s recent Starlink launch (sample article), and you can SEE the satellites with the naked eye: details here. The article Kevin mentioned about the military reporting UFOs: New York Times.
- Gary mentioned a new Uber Shut Up and Drive feature where you can request the driver not chat with you. (And for those for whom this sounds hauntingly familiar, Leo points out this 2009 video by Rihanna.)
- Kevin loves his Elephant Memory Systems sticker — and you can get some if you remember them too!
- And Randy read a letter from a listener who thinks we need to “tighten up” the episodes. Nope: we’re not going to change the format. Tangents are what makes it interesting — at least in our opinions!
6 Comments on “TEH 070: Elephant Never Forgets”
I have been listening to this podcast since the first. I have been a fan of Gary’s since 2013 when I bought my first MAC. I love the format and am going to miss Randy. Please do not change it.
Much appreciated, Tom.
Randy, I wish I could afford to go to the AG.
Have a good time!!
Luckily, it’s just a (long) one-day drive for us.
I enjoy your podcast in fact it is the only one I listen to.